Rule #1 Contest is open to teams of 1-3 high school students who attend a high school in the city of Seattle. Please obey local and national quarantine requirements and social distancing guidelines for the Covid-19. 5 of the top 10 semi finalist spots will be reserved for teams who attend Garfield, Franklin, Cleveland, Rainier Beach or Interagency high schools in Seattle, WA. We are a mentoring program and our youth attend these schools.
Rule #2 Make a video that answers these three questions:
1. What do you fear right now?
2. How do you fight that fear?
3. How does your solution help others and offer hope?
It can be a music video, spoken word, rap or some other original form of artistic expression.
Rule #3 Only those on the team may appear in the video.
Rule #4 No profanity or sexually explicit lyrics or images.
Rule #5 Post your video to Instagram by Saturday, April 25th, 2020 (one month from the start).
1) Follow MUST on Instagram @mentoringisamust
2) Make your account public so we can see your video
3) Use the hashtag #MentoringisaMUSTChallenge
4) Include the name and location of your high school in the description
5) Tag MUST @mentoringisamust.
10 semi finalists will be chosen based on:
1. The quality of your idea to fix the inequity that you are passionate about.
2. Popularity! This will be based on the number of unique comments on your original post, not number of views or likes.
3. Entertainment factor. Is it creative and/or entertaining?
1. If you have a very popular video, but your idea is weak and it is not very entertaining, then you will not make the semifinals. Popularity alone will not qualify an entry for the semifinals. We want to see a quality idea and creativity!
2. If you only spend 5 minutes on this project then you will probably not make the semifinals. Your entry should show some effort.
First Place: Each member of the first place team will win $1,000. $3,000 to a team of three. $2,000 to a team of two. $1,000 to a team of one.*
Best Idea: $1,000 will be given to the best idea among the semifinalists to fix the inequity you are passionate about.*
Most Creative/Entertaining: $1,000 will be given to the most creative/entertaining of the semifinalists.*
*Note: No one student can win more than $1,000. There will be second/third/fourth place prizes as needed in each category. We will give away all $5,000.
1. Contest starts March 25th, 2020.
2. Submissions must be posted by Saturday April 25th, 2020. NO late entries!
3. Semi finalist’s videos will be uploaded, one per day for 10 days, starting May 1st, 2020 to Instagram, YouTube, Facebook and the MUST website.
4. Winners will be announced during our live virtual
fundraiser on May 14th, 2020 @ 7:00pm PST on our YouTube channel (MUST – Mentoring Urban Students and Teens).
1. Youth are super smart and creative!
2. Youth have extra time on their hands right now.
3. Youth need healthy diversions from worry and stress.
4. We are a nonprofit mentoring program and an in-person fundraiser is not possible right now. Covid-19 is forcing us to use our awesomeness to be extra creative. So we are instead using our budget to inspire and reward innovative youth. Please join our live virtual fundraiser on YouTube on May 14th @ 7:00pm PST. Please invite people who might support us financially. Help us to continue to employ our staff of college age people of color.
Hang in there everyone! We can do this together!